With this statement Jesus forever stands as the gold standard for the golden rule. In order to truly understand this admonition to ‘do to others that which you desire others to do to you, and in light of the Jesusonian upgrade, we must consider distinct levels of meaning concerning the present day application of the Golden Rule. These include:
1. The level of the flesh. Focuses primarily on subjective physical pleasures. The best case would involve indulging oneself as well as another with a positive regard for both parties’ enjoyment. On the other hand it can serve to glamorize a purely selfish, even lustful gratification as the “do one another” and pleasure mania cultures currently prescribe.
2. The level of the feelings. Involves certain emotional forms of sympathy and pity that can become highly addictive. These could manifest as self-centeredness or codependency. They could also indicate a sensitivity, together with a willingness to consider, both the personal values and the sentimental reactions of another.
3. The level of mind. Leverages the intelligence of experience to produce a profound respect for both self and other that benefits and frees both the giver and the receiver to share a compassionate harmony.
4. The level of brotherly and sisterly love. Recognizes the transforming power of the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood / sisterhood of humankind yielding an unselfish devotion expressed through wholehearted social service.
6. The spiritual level. Embraces the spirit insight and spiritual interpretation honoring the divine command to treat all others as we conceive God would treat them. This final level is clearly evident in the manner of the Master with his admonition and command that we love one another even as he continues to love us.