The Nature and Attributes of God Glossary
This is the Glossary for the Class: The Nature and Attributes of God.
Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL
Definitions: (1) obedient to foreknowledge and wisdom; dutiful; (2) the giver of the innate ability to know fact from fiction and right from wrong; (3) the instigator of the principles of the actions of nature; (4) the giver of the divine command: “Be you perfect” from which all other law is derived; indisputable fixed clarity; (5) efficient; exact
• Since God’s actions are so well considered, they are often the same from one circumstance to the next. Thus his actions have been codified into the immutable laws of nature, physics, and all other branches of reality. But, since God is first a loving Person, consistency does not imply reality has a slavish hold on him, but rather a continual reaffirmation of his all-wise overcare. All of his actions show his volitional free will.
• Law is the foundation of the mercy ladder. Without law there would be no balanced justice; without justice, no insightful fairness; without fairness, no trusting patience; without patience, no unselfish kindness; without kindness, no genuine mercy; and mercy leads to the source and destiny of love.
Definitions: (1) animation of pattern and energy by Spirit upon matter; (2) that vital spark which allows an organism to absorb energy, associate with mind, grow, adapt, and reproduce; (3) the vivifier and revivifier; (4) the essential element of continued existence; soul; (5) the gift of consciousness
Comment: The loss of (physical) life has always been, and continues to be, the most fearsome and mysterious of facts. The first fact – the existence of a loving God – frees us from this greatest of worries. Our restored (heavenly) life is assured if we assimilate the indestructible substances of the universe: values.
Definitions: (1) that which makes it possible to see; showing the way; (2) extremely beautiful; ravishing; (3) broadcasting love; radiant; (4) emitting health; glowing; (5) diffusion of mental knowledge; enlightening; (6) emanating spiritual knowledge; elucidating; (7) free from burden; infused with joy
Comment: God is pure light. There is no darkness in Light, especially not in The Source and creator of light. All of God’s choices are good. Of course, there is no evil in God. Even though he gave us free will, he did not create evil. Evil is the result of immature and unwise choosing, a shadow across the Light.
Definitions: (1) the personification of all true, beautiful, and good qualities; God; (2) the greatest of all excellent qualities; the source of all positive qualities; (3) charitable; (4) endowed with admirable balanced qualities; (5) ability to give and draw intense interest or affection; (6) God’s benevolent concern for his creation; (7) the ability to elicit great pleasure
• God is Love. Love is God’s way. Love is the desire to do good for others. Love is genuine and unselfish. Love is the greatest thing in the universe and it can be attached to any person. Love is dynamic. Love is alive. Love is best understood in relationships.
• From our point of view, there are many qualities. To God there is only one. If we parse absolute love, we will discover all of the qualities we recognize, and project the probability of many more. Yet in him they fit together perfectly. He self-limits and balances every quality with every other quality. He is the ideal harmony of love.
Definitions: (1) very grand and dignified; august; prestigious; (2) admirable; esteemed; (3) astoundingly magnanimous; (4) exquisite, marvelous; (5) the maker of miracles
Comment: God has everything and can loose nothing – no matter how much of himself he gives away. Even a human who has everything can afford to be magnanimous. How much more generous is The One who wants us to share in everything he is?
Definitions: (1) disposed to forgive in perfect measure; (2) willing to pardon; sympathetic; (3) giver of hope and granter of rest; (4) ready to show pity; compassionate; (5) eager to relieve suffering; kindhearted; (6) caregiver; the good shepherd
Comment: One of our current human definitions of mercy is to let someone off easy, even though they deserve punishment. This is not God’s way. He would not remove our opportunity to learn from our mistakes. One of the most sacred qualities we can acquire is responsibility. He knows we can learn to be accountable for our actions. We reap exactly what we sow – good or ill.
Definitions: (1) the co-head of the household <in this case: the universe> devoted to the care, welfare, and rearing of the family; (2) the second Person of The Trinity; The Eternal Mother Son; (3) the nurturing aspect of God; (4) the source of abundance; plenty; (5) the universe <as a non-personal reality>
Comment: God is not male or female, those are human biological designations. Yet God has been referred to as both Father and Mother from time immemorial. Even though there is only one God, there are many facets, many positive aspects we can differentiate and appreciate from our finite point of view.
Definitions: (1) stimulating wonder; inspiring fascination; hypnotic; (2) exciting curiosity; intriguing; (3) beyond our most appealing dreams; unfathomable; (4) so awesomely sacred as to cause speechlessness; ineffable
• In human spiritual experience, the fact of God and the love of God are not a mystery. Mystery appears when we begin to fathom the details of the spirit realm. The finite mind can know only what is in its frame, albeit this limited frame is ever expanding with experience and revelation. The soul can know more.
• God has no reason to use magic. He knows all of the tricks but resorts to none of them. His primary motive is to share himself. The desire to discover is fascinating to all personalities and is hardwired into every mind. We naturally seek to learn more, not only about ourselves but also about the habits (laws) of God and the universe. All things are discoverable with his help; progress is inevitable.
• Once the current mysteries are unveiled there will be new and intriguing ones to hold our awe.
Definitions: (1) the actual, correct, and exact truth; (2) truly existing in reality; not assumed to exist; (3) possessing the final perspective; (4) the ultimate object of desire; the final goal; (5) eminently fair; unbiased; right-minded; (6) the most valid value(s); (7) that which focuses light
Comment: Even though we are finite, God does not leave us in the dark, able only to know reality from a totally circumscribed, subjective (bottom up) point of view. We can know the most important Objective (top down) reality there is. We can know love.
(1) producing all varieties, forms, and kinds; multifarious; diverse
See Also: Creative