The Nature and Attributes of God Glossary
This is the Glossary for the Class: The Nature and Attributes of God.
Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL
Definitions: (1) relative to no other; all others dependent on Him; (2) free from and above any extraneous influence; self-sufficient; (3) independent in and of Himself; (4) unconditioned by any standards, causes, or outside circumstances; (5) not limited or restricted by any other force or control; (6) pure; perfect; (7) the embodiment of ideal love; (8) complete; whole; (9) the ultimate actual and potential reality; (10) unqualified; fundamental; (11) the supreme authority; superultimate; (12) infinitely beyond any other thing or being; unsurpassed
Reflection: It is appropriate for Absolute to be the first in the alphabetical list of God’s qualities. It can and should be used as a modifier for all other qualities: absolute love, absolute perfection, absolute generosity, etc. Since God is absolute, all of his qualities are absolute. This means no quality can have any more value than any other. absolute justice has exactly the same value as absolute mercy. No matter how difficult we may think a choice is, to God it is easy. It is beyond us to understand his absolute nature, but he has no difficulty melding and perfectly coordinating anything with any and all other things — no matter if they are material things, mental meanings, spiritual values, or persons.
Consideration: We may think we know what the word Absolute means, but every time we contemplate it in depth, we find ourselves looking to the only Person who actually is absolute and the meaning expands. Therefore, we grow every time we think of God’s absolute nature and attributes.
Comment: Although God himself is absolute, he has designed a system of downsteps from the infinite to the finite. There is a vast family of caring individuals from God the Son and God the Spirit on down to the lowliest cherubim. He and the cooperating member of his family work for everyone’s welfare throughout every stage of existence. He is not separate from his creation. He permeates all levels.
Definitions: (1) the whole of everything; totally inclusive; replete; (2) going completely around, enveloping; nothing outside the embrace of; self-contained; (3) exerting utter control over all domains; (4) total accomplishment of objectives; (5) all-pervasive
See also: Harmony
Comment: Within a system there are parts. Each system is enclosed by the extents of its domain. Every part is encompassed within the system. The All-encompassing Being includes all of the individual parts, all of the separate systems, and all of the systems together in a single harmony. In order for there to be a harmony of parts there have to be parts. Without parts a thing is simply itself, whole and complete. God is both.
Definitions: (1) the ability <of The Creator> to be close to the creation; to be intimate with every creature; (2) potential <for both The Creator and the created> to move toward each other; (3) possible for the created to emulate The Creator in character or quality; (4) having easy and open access; friendly; (5) able to be appreciated; (6) able to be contacted; findable; (7) worthy of being prayed to
• Several qualities attributed to God are his only in relation to others. God is approachable by his family of created beings. We exist. He exists. He wants the best for us. He is the best for us, therefore he has designed the universe so we can choose to approach his perfection.
• Considering the infinite distance we have to go, the best we can do in this lifetime in our attempt to approach God is to face the right direction. He does everything he can to help us find him. No matter how close to The Absolute we may get there is still an absolute distance to go.
Definitions: (1) the personal quality that gives pleasure to the senses, exalts the mind, and elevates the spirit by pattern, harmony, and truth; (2) the aesthetic effect produced by harmony; (3) the essence of any excellent quality; (4) special grace with charm; delightful; (5) intensely pleasing; extremely fine; (6) artistic; attractive; lovely
Reflection: Our idea of beauty is so paltry compared with the grandeur of The Divine Beauty that it seems hopelessly meager. And yet these are the words we have available to use. One possibility is to extend the concept from an idea to an ideal and then it can be felt as well as known.
Definitions: (1) the giver of gifts; the Person with the most lavish generosity; (2) the giver of examples and life lessons; (3) the application of devotion to the universe, <He bestows his love upon all his children.>
Observation: Many great people have lived remarkable lives: Jesus, Buddha, Lao-Tse, Mother Theresa, etc. These lives, lived in the service of The Truth, are a gift, an example of how to live. Each personality can choose to amplify themself to the exalted character they are meant to be.
Comment: Among the gifts which have been bestowed upon us are: life, personality, body, mind, spirit, grace, free will, and revelation (external and internal).
Definitions: (1) the Person from which everything emanates; (2) the foundational focal point; the nucleus; (3) the place of tranquil quiescence; stationary and still; (4) the fundamental source of power and authority; (5) the convergence of reality <physical force, personality and mind circuits, spiritual and physical gravity, and all life>; (6) the destiny of everything; the nexus; (7) holding everything together; cosmic cohesiveness
Inspiration: God encompasses all reality, is its source and center, is extant throughout it, and is its ultimate destination.
Definitions: (1) imparting reassurance, encouragement, and strength; (2) bringing solace and consolation in times of distress; (3) providing grace, hope, and cheer; (4) showing compassion and soul soothing kindness; (5) bestowing satisfaction and contentment; (6) the Teacher of all things
Comment: Definition number six, “the Teacher of all things,” helps us understand how comfort is beyond a simple hug with a sympathetic, “It will be all right. I’ll help you through this.” Comfort also includes information and security and understanding. The more we know the more comfortable we feel.
Some of God’s qualities (Omnipotence, Omniscience) are impossible to share. Some, like comfort, are where we have our opportunity to be like him. We can give comfort, in all of its forms (teacher, listener, inventor, nurse), to our brothers and sisters; all the while getting better as we practice.
Definitions: (1) the Person who brings everything into being; the originator; the ordainer of what is caused to exist; (2) characterized by originality and execution of first thoughts; (3) productive; inventive; omniferous; (4) the generator of reality: physical, mental, spiritual, and personal; (5) establishing and mandating the primal patterns, forms, and designs; the lawmaker; (6) self-moved by the motivation of love
• To appreciate and stand in awe of the creation is to give credit to The Creator for manifesting such prolific and imaginative innovations.
• God has also blessed us with a bit of the creative impulse. When we are being creative, we are sharing with him a fundamental quality of his nature. This gift is one reason why he does not give us all of the answers. It is part of The Plan that we discover anew reality for ourselves.
Definitions: (1) the making of a choice after considering all of the options; (2) expressing determination for a dedicated purpose firmly and resolutely; (3) faultless action taken after purposeful consideration
• Being all-knowing, all of God’s decisions are made after considering all options. This was true while determining the nature of Nature before anything existed and it is also true for each individual. For instance, when determining what actions to take with a individual after that person has died, God will include in his decision the circumstances the person was faced with in their life, the choices they made, the qualities they managed to embody within their soul, the long range plans God has for this soul in his creation, as well as innumerable other factors unknown to us. What we can be absolutely sure of is: his decision(s) will be fair and meticulous.
• God is absolute in relation to the entire time-space universe and within time-space his decisions, and therefore his actions, are the best possible reaction to each person, planet, or universe.
Definitions: (1) the source of all that which is divine; (2) can be personal, pre-personal, super-personal, or impersonal.
See Also: God